About Me

My photo
Dimondale, Michigan, United States
My passion is workforce development! I've been actively networking with Lansing professionals over the past year - trying to build relationships with employers and job seekers alike. I would like to see talented folks get connected with businesses that are looking for them. Feel free to follow me on Twitter @tiffenator

Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Power of Networking

I’ve been attending various networking and job seeking activities in the Greater Lansing area over the past month or so and have met some amazing people. I’ve learned that the only purpose of a resume is to get you into an interview. Bearing that in mind, I’ve been updating and reformatting my resume a lot to say the least. I keep getting different opinions from my career counselor, human resources teacher, recruiters and other Human Resources gurus.

I defied the odds though as I had a very backwards thing happen to me. I attended the Emerging Talent Symposium that Capital Area Michigan Works! (CAMW) and Lansing Economic Area Partnership (LEAP) held on May 24. My career counselor sat next to a Director of a very prominent workforce development agency. The two got to talking and somehow my name was mentioned and he gave her his contact information and told her to pass it along to me.

I called him and tried to reach him the next day, but reached his voicemail instead. I knew he was going to be in town, so I went to one of the places that I knew he may visit to leave my business card for him. I didn’t hear anything back, so I thought I would lay low for a couple of days – especially with Memorial Day and the possibility of him having plans.

Today I received a call from his office to set up an interview. I’m super excited and can’t wait for my chance to sit down and talk to him about the possibility of joining his team as a workforce development professional. Until today, he never saw my resume.

Moral of the story? Network, network, network.

Cheers,
Tiffenator

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews

Personal Branding

Interesting Blogs